You are hereEB-5 processing step-by-step at your fingertips! / After I-829 Approval -- Now What? / Oops, I lost my permanent I-551 green card . . . what do I do?

Oops, I lost my permanent I-551 green card . . . what do I do?

It you happen to lose the very permanent LPR I-551 green card you worked so hard for, here is what you have to do.

1. Make an Infopass Appointment at the USCIS Field Office nearest to your U.S. residence. USCIS staff will get upset if you show up without making an Infopass Appointment in advance. Moreover, they may refuse to meet you; therefore, make an Infopass Appointment. If you don't know how to do this, go to and follow the procedure.

2. Explain your situation, and obtain 1-year temporary I-551 stamp in your passport. Tell them you lost the LPR green card, so you need a proof that you are a lawful permanent resident.

3. Apply for I-90 replacement of green card application form right there, before you show up at the Infopass Appointment or after the Appointment.

4. Make sure you submit the address change form via mail or online at if you happen to move before you receive the replacement green card.